The Village’s annual Street Improvement Project (SIP) is designed to maintain and improve the condition of our streets. The SIP consists of resurfacing the asphalt roadway in various locations throughout the Village on an as-needed basis. At times, adjacent curb and sidewalk are also replaced as part of this project, as needed.
2017 Project Information
This year’s project will include the resurfacing of the following streets:
As is typical with this project, impacts to traffic are minimal as the driving surface will be passable in all phases of the work. The only time the roadway will be inaccessible is when the construction crews are present and working on a particular area. Unfortunately, on-street parking will not be allowed during this work. While an inconvenience, it allows the contractor to work more efficiently and finish the project sooner. Streets to be affected include the following:
- Vine - from Thatcher to Keystone
- Hawthorne - from Franklin to Lathrop
- Franklin - from Oak to Lake
- Ashland - from Chicago to Oak
- William - from Oak to Quick
- Clinton - from Oak to Quick
- 8/3/17 - This project is substantially complete with only a few minor repairs needed. These will be resolved with the contractor over the coming weeks.
- 6/30/17 - Due to the weather forecast (50% chance of thunderstorms today) paving has been postponed until next Wednesday. Parking signage will be modified to reflect the revised dates. Parking will be allowed on these streets in accordance with the signage that was present prior to the project beginning. Project-related No Parking restrictions will become effective again next week. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- 6/29/17 - All manholes have been adjusted back up to grade and are prepared for paving. The final layer of asphalt is currently scheduled to be completed tomorrow (Friday) though the current weather forecast is questionable.
- 6/21/17 - Concrete work has been completed. Pavement milling will be starting on Friday this week and will continue on Monday of next week. This work will involve the removal of the top 2" of asphalt. The new asphalt will start being installed next Tuesday. It will be done in two layers or "lifts". The first lift will be completed on Tuesday and the final lift will be completed by the end of the week. The manholes in the pavement need to be re-installed and brought up to the level of the street. This work can take some time so we do not yet know the exact date of completion, however, it is expected to be finished by the end of next week.
- 6/16/17 - Excavation along the edges of Hawthorne Avenue continues and should be complete by the end of the day. The area is being filled in with asphalt shortly after the excavation so there should be no access restrictions over the weekend. New concrete placement is still scheduled for early next week with pavement milling to take place later in the week.
- 6/14/17 - We are pleased to announce that this year's Street Improvement Project will be starting up this week. Today will include the delivery of construction signage and barricades in addition to some minor saw-cutting of the curb and sidewalk. Thursday and Friday of this week will include areas of curb and sidewalk removal as well as some additional excavation along the edges of Hawthorne Avenue. Work scheduled for next week currently includes concrete placement, manhole adjustment, and removal of the top 2" of asphalt pavement for all affected streets.
- A contract has been awarded for this work to R. W. Dunteman. While a start date has not yet been determined, this work is scheduled to be complete by late June. Project notification letters will be sent out shortly to all those that will be affected by this project.