The Citizen Corps was established following the tragic events of September 11, 2001. It was created to help coordinate volunteer activities that will make the River Forest community safer, stronger and better prepared to respond to any emergency situation. The Corps is an umbrella group that will coordinate a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) and a Medical Reserve Corps (MRC).
The Village established the Citizen Corps to:
- Assist first responders in any emergency situation
- Supplement public safety as needed
- Support local groups and organizations hosting public events (e.g. traffic control, first-aid tent, well-being checks)
- Help educate the community on matters affecting safety and emergency preparedness
The Citizen Corps is seeking residents to assist with the following:
- Light Housekeeping
- Database Creation and Maintenance
- Medical Support
- Traffic Control
Participating residents will receive basic training and are only expected to provide an hour or two of assistance per month.